Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Venue Search 2/?

Our second stop on the search for a venue was Burge Plantation. And in one of those moments where I could see my personality going in a slightly different direction, I really, really loved Burge. I can imagine a version of myself descending the stairs from the porch and walking down a flower-wreathed aisle, a breath-taking Southern Belle for the day.

Or maybe that's just me really wanting to watch Sweet Home Alabama.


The inside of the house is not available for use, but they will open it up if a bride wants to come out of the front door before walking down the aisle, which would lead into what basically looks like a darling clearing in the woods. You can set up an aisle going the other way as well, but I prefer the backdrop of trees to the house.
 
Another option for the ceremony would be the back garden behind the house. Since these pictures were taken in January, the place looks sort of abandoned (Note: Shopping for an outdoor venue during the winter sucks! To the point where I wish we wanted a long engagement so I could see these places in the summer before booking them.), but I'm told that the flowers are gorgeous.
 
The reception space was a small, newer building, with an outdoor area as large as the indoor area. The "walls" here are actually just clear plastic material, rolled down to keep it warm and out of the weather.  There is a large croquet lawn right outside which is also available for use, and a small place to play Bocce Ball, which I've never heard of before but might be fun. 

Ultimately, what stopped me from booking Burge Plantation was that I just didn't feel like it was what I was looking for. It would have been great if I were looking to be a princess for the day, and it was worth the price-- the rental included the use of two small cottages for dressing before the wedding, and the use of one of them for the night following the wedding. But I don't want to be a princess. I want to be a bride, and to me that doesn't mean everyone should be staring at me enviously. 

I'm looking for a location where I can be a gracious host to my guests, outside in a place that's not so manicured that it's just as decorated as an indoor location might be. I don't want the guests to be thinking of the beautiful location that we have so much as they are the fun they're having. My wedding is not a tourist attraction, and I would be far more comfortable with someplace a little less showy than a plantation house.

 
That said, this place really was beautiful, and now I'm dying to watch Sweet Home Alabama!

No comments:

Post a Comment