Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wanderings

So. I have a secret. Well, a sort of secret.  At least, it's something I don't admit very often.

Here it is: I. am. a control-freak. I am. Really. I don't like other people helping me with things that I think I can do alone. And so I'm having a really hard time with this wedding planning thing, because I know it's something I can't do alone, but I'm not really sure how to communicate my ideas of what I want to the (much appreciated) people who are helping me. Because, of course, if they're my ideas, they must be something only I can understand, right?

Well. They're not. I just need to find the words, and the will, to articulate them.

See, there's a second part of the secret. The reason I'm a control-freak is that when I let other people give input, I'm really bad at diplomatically, unoffensively, explaining that what they want to do might not be the same as what I want to do. And in general, out of anxiety over possibly being offensive, I just... do what they want. Because then they're happy. Except then, am I happy? Well, normally yes. I don't tend to worry about the smaller things. But this time I'm planning my wedding, which is a Big Important Thing.

So. I'm going to do my best to articulate just what I'm thinking. And post lots of links to pictures of weddings I love, and would like to steal ideas from, or emulate. Like this:




 I love the idea of long tables. They make socializing so much easier, in my opinion, because you can seat more people per table, but the whole table doesn't have to be involved in the same conversation. Because sometimes, honestly, I don't want to talk to a whole table of people. And I like table runners.



PS: RSVPs. I am not a fan of the extra-smancy invites, as you know. I'm thinking web RSVPs, with a phone number for the older people who aren't up for using teh interwebs. So. Email? I wouldn't mind just having people email us. Or should we go the website route (which, as far as I know, costs monies)?  I have ideas bouncing around in my head about what we could do if we go with emails-- ask the guests to answer a couple of silly questions as well as simply say yes or no to being able to attend. I don't know what I would do with the answers yet, but I'm sure I could come up with something classy and exciting.  


No comments:

Post a Comment